Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Day 1: I lift up my eyes to the hills...

Where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth!!!!
I am sitting here in a quiet, warm, cozy apartment in the capital (thank you, sweet Karen Springs) with the perfectly timed quiet hours that the Lord has given me. Monday morning as I got ready to board the plane I could not have imagined such a peaceful grace filled time that I would have here!  All has been beautiful and and wonderful!  Vitali is my driver this time and he has been just so wonderful to work with! Also, as I landed there were three other families flying in at the same time so we have all been able to meet and encourage one another.  Those of you who know me well know that a beautiful place is nothing to me without the beautiful people that are there with you.  I praise the Lord for my new friends!
This is the Saint Andrews orthodox cathedral...the DAP appointment takes place in the shadow of this great historic building.

So this is how things have happened so far... On the air plane I sat next to a dear older Ukrainian woman who did not speak much English so we sat and tried to talk and understand each other... it was so fun and such a sweet connection with a dear woman.  She did understand that we were coming for an adoption and that our girl is a 12 year old.  She had children too and was so happy for us in our adoption.  Then at the end of the flight we asked a man sitting in front of me if he could translate the word "adoption" for us and in the process I found out that he (and his family) are missionaries here and I ended up having a great conversation with him as we waited to pick up our luggage.  His youngest (teenager) daughter was named Abigail (and she was such a sweet Abigail).  It was a very helpful conversation, in fact, they offered me a ride becasuse my driver had not shown up yet! Next, I sat down to contact the team as I did not see my name on a sign when I exited the baggage claim... As I sat fidgeting with my phone I spotted Eugene!  I approached him and asked if he was here for me and he said no because we have four families coming in all at the same time and he was picking up someone else.  It was sure good to see a familiar face first thing like that!  He assured me that my driver would be there soon and as I waited I met several other families!  I met the Stewarts, Scotts, and Erb families.  So fun that we all showed up at the same time and from different planes!  Vitali showed up and took a few of us to grocery shop and then to our apartments. When I got to karen's home I can not tell you the peace I had overflowing!  The Lord watches over every part of our lives He even knew how nervous I was about this trip by myself and He completely wiped away all worry by putting gentle, loving saints in my path all this day! I managed to stay awake this whole trip and now it was getting really hard to keep my eyes open so I went for a short walk down a very nice/busy street and by the time I got home I ate a simple dinner and got right to bed by 9pm!  It is a miracle that I (mostly) slept through the night and I woke the next day with no jet lag!





No comments:

Post a Comment